The Capitol View Manor Historic District, located approximately three miles south of downtown Atlanta, in Fulton County, Georgia, was listed in the National Register of Historic Places on December 3, 2013. The Capitol View Manor Neighborhood Group sponsored the nomination. Nomination materials were prepared by graduate students in Georgia State University’s Heritage Preservation Program. The Capitol View Manor Historic District was listed at the local level of significance for its importance to Atlanta as an early planned subdivision on the south side.
In the early 1920s, a group of investors led by banker and attorney Joseph E. Boston purchased a tract of land in southwest Atlanta from the Freedman’s Aid Society in order to subdivide it for a new residential development to be named Capitol View Manor. The site was situated on high ground adjacent to Stewart Avenue (now Metropolitan Parkway), the major north-south highway through Atlanta, which provided convenient commuter access to downtown. The resulting development, Capitol View Manor, represents an early planned modern subdivision in Atlanta that reflects some of the predominant national trends of its time. It was built in response to the rapid population growth of Atlanta and the need for well-built affordable housing on the south side of the city. The district retains the same layout of streets and lots, which were a departure from the gridiron pattern that had dominated previous development in surrounding neighborhoods. It is also significant for its design by Olin I. Freeman of Atlanta, a civil engineer who was involved in similar projects in Atlanta and other Georgia towns.
Capitol View Manor is an intact residential subdivision initially developed for middle-class white families in Atlanta beginning in 1926. The district was planned and platted during a building boom in the 1920s, although actual development was slow to begin. Despite the effects of the Great Depression and World War II, the vast majority of the housing in Capitol View Manor dates to before 1945. The neighborhood features curving drives with fairly uniform lots on a gently rolling landscape. It is surrounded by several neighborhoods that date from earlier periods with more traditional gridiron street patterns. Capitol View Manor’s houses include good examples of several types and styles popular in Georgia towns from the early to mid-20th century. The earliest styles are Craftsman, English Vernacular Revival, and Colonial Revival. Later periods of development, including 1940s “war housing,” occurred on the north side, and also as infill to previously undeveloped lots. These houses include common mid-20th-century types such as the American Small House and Ranch House. The district is composed entirely of single-family houses and duplexes, except for one community landmark building --- the Tenth Ward Fire Station 20, constructed in 1926. The south side of the district also includes the six-acre Millican Park, created by the city in 1937.
The National Register of Historic Places is our country's official list of historic buildings, structures, sites, objects, and districts worthy of preservation. The National Register provides formal recognition of a property's architectural, historical or archaeological significance. It also identifies historic properties for planning purposes and insures that these properties will be considered in the planning of state or federally assisted projects. National Register listing encourages preservation of historic properties through public awareness, federal and state tax incentives, and grants. Listing in the National Register does not place obligations or restrictions on the use, treatment, transfer, or disposition of private property.
The Historic Preservation Division (HPD) of the Georgia Department of Natural Resources serves as Georgia’s state historic preservation office. Its mission is to promote the preservation and use of historic places for a better Georgia. HPD’s programs include archaeology protection and education, environmental review, grants, historic resource surveys, tax incentives, the National Register of Historic Places, community planning and technical assistance.
The mission of the Department of Natural Resources is to sustain, enhance, protect and conserve Georgia’s natural, historic and cultural resources for present and future generations, while recognizing the importance of promoting the development of commerce and industry that utilize sound environmental practices.
# # #
For press inquiries contact Historic Preservation Division Director David Crass - 404-656-2840 and firstname.lastname@example.org
Photos available upon request from Charlie Miller, media & communications coordinator - 404-651-5287 and email@example.com