The Medical Arts Building, located at 384 Peachtree Street in Atlanta (Fulton County), has been listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The nomination was sponsored by the property owners and nomination materials were prepared by a consultant.
The Medical Arts Building is one of a few surviving representative examples of the expansion of Atlanta’s central business district north of Five Points during the first three decades of the 20th century, as the city experienced a steady increase in economic activity and population growth. As one of the first buildings in Atlanta to include a covered parking garage, it also represents the increasing influence of the automobile on Atlanta’s development. The building was developed by four prominent local doctors (Cliff Sauls, Grady E. Clay, James E. Paulin and Malvern D. Huff), who saw the growing need for state-of-the-art medical offices.
The Medical Arts Building is an excellent example of an early 20th-century mid-rise office building, utilizing Neoclassical elements of pilasters, decorative cornice, and clean lines. The building is also a major work of an important Georgia architect, G. Lloyd Preacher, who designed many buildings in Atlanta during a long and distinguished career that included at least 100 buildings, including Atlanta City Hall and the Wynne-Claughton Building, as well as commissions throughout Georgia and the Southeast. Construction on the Medical Arts Building began in May 1926, and was completed in 1927. The structure of the building is steel frame encased with concrete, and also utilizes terracotta tile for fireproofing. The three-part exterior features a base, with storefronts clad with limestone on floors one and two – on both Peachtree Street and the north elevation – a shaft clad in buff brick veneer on floors three through ten, and a capital of buff brick on floors 11 and 12, that is capped with a pressed-metal cornice. Remaining interior features include corridors with marble floors, original metal doors with transoms, grand staircase with decorative metal railing, and elevator lobbies with marble floors and baseboards.
The National Register of Historic Places is our country's official list of historic buildings, structures, sites, objects, and districts worthy of preservation. The National Register provides formal recognition of a property's architectural, historical, or archaeological significance. It also identifies historic properties for planning purposes, and insures that these properties will be considered in the planning of state or federally assisted projects. National Register listing encourages preservation of historic properties through public awareness, federal and state tax incentives, and grants. Listing in the National Register does not place obligations or restrictions on the use, treatment, transfer, or disposition of private property.
The Historic Preservation Division (HPD) of the Georgia Department of Natural Resources serves as Georgia’s state historic preservation office. Its mission is to promote the preservation and use of historic places for a better Georgia. HPD’s programs include archaeology protection and education, environmental review, grants, historic resource surveys, tax incentives, the National Register of Historic Places, community planning and technical assistance.
The mission of the Department of Natural Resources is to sustain, enhance, protect and conserve Georgia’s natural, historic and cultural resources for present and future generations, while recognizing the importance of promoting the development of commerce and industry that utilize sound environmental practices.
For press inquiries contact Historic Preservation Division Public Affairs Coordinator Jeff Harrison (770) 389-7869 or firstname.lastname@example.org